Saturday, May 16, 2015

iPad Basics for Education

Numbers:
I chose to evaluate the Numbers application on the iPad. I currently use Microsoft Office Excel for creating my personal budgets and cash flow plans, so I thought it would be interesting to compare Excel to Numbers. Numbers and Excel both contain a spreadsheet format which looks similar. Formulas are available for use in both applications. However, it seems easier to me to edit cells in Numbers because less keystrokes are required. Simply double tapping on a cell in Numbers edits a cell.  I do think the copy and paste functions are easier and faster in Excel, but that may be due to the fact that I am more proficient using Excel. I like the Templates available in Numbers, particularly the attendance spreadsheet. The iPad seems to be geared more toward educators. I think the Numbers application might be useful in keeping track of student grades. 

Box.net:
Next, as a part of this week's assignment, I signed up for a Box.net account. I received a free 5GB personal account which I can use to access my files from any device, anytime. It was very easy to use. I uploaded a file into the box from my computer.

iThought:
I investigated iThought on the iPad to see how I thought it might be used in the classroom. It is an app designed for brain-storming. There are various styles and layouts to choose from. The color can be easily changed. You can also choose different background styles. It also allows you to do hand drawings, which I really like. I think it's a great that your iThought file can be sent by email to another person or shared for collaboration with other students or colleagues. Students could use iThought as a brainstorming tool to help develop/plan for a research paper or project. It's a good way to organize thoughts, and it's quick and efficient once you understand how to use it. I really like the fact that the iThought file can be turned into an outline to be used for writing. I like iThought as a good and useful tool for teachers and students. 

Compare Safari and Rover applications:
The similarities I noticed between the Safari and Rover is they both are internet search engines. I had some prior exposure to Safari, but had never used Rover. I wasn't sure how to find Rover on the iPad, but eventually found it. Safari seems easier to use than Rover. Safari is more intuitive to use. Rover limited me to what websites I could access, but Safari did not limit my access. I prefer Safari over Rover. 

1 comment:

  1. The big point to Rover is that it will play Flash videos. Otherwise, this is nice work.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete