Saturday, May 16, 2015

Documents

My first exposure to Google Documents was today when my sister called me in a panic asking me to update her resume so she could apply for an open job. This job would be an awesome opportunity for her. She did not know how to edit her outdated resume, which a friend had set up for her. I told her I would try my best to help her. She emailed me a copy of her electronic resume, which was in dropbox when it arrived. I opened it out of dropbox in Google Documents and worked to edit it, making updates to her information. I am very familiar with Microsoft Word, but not Google Documents. Surprisingly, it didn't take too long for me to make the needed changes. Then, I emailed her resume back to her as an attachment. I also emailed a copy to myself, and easily pulled it up in my iPhone to view it.

One feature I really liked was that Google Documents automatically saves so there is no need to hit the save button every few minutes. I also liked the fact that I could easily pull up the document on my iPhone without having to open any other programs to view it.  Also, The edit functionality is fairly easy to figure out for a beginning user. 

The use of Google Documents in the classroom would be a great way to meet Common Core Writing Standards as discussed in Chapter 4 of the Graham text. The text lists these standards in Table 4 on page 45. Three Common Core Anchor Standards for Grades 3, 4, and 5 can be achieved by having students use Google Documents in the classroom.

Needless to say, my sister was very thankful I was able to help her update her resume. Now, I'm praying she gets the job!

1 comment: