Saturday, May 16, 2015

Google Spreadsheets

I have used Microsoft Excel spreadsheets often over the years, but this was my first attempt at using Google Spreadsheets. The spreadsheets look very similar. The navigation is a bit different. I found it fairly easy to name the spreadsheet, create columns and rows, and type in my data. I will admit I did struggle to learn how to edit and copy my formulas from one cell to another. This seems different from Excel, and took some time for me to figure out. Overall though, I thought the products were fairly similar. 

The use of Google Spreadsheets by students in the classroom could easily help meet some of the Common Core Standards associated with Math. At the elementary level, students could make charts or graphs from data. At the secondary level, students could create spreadsheets to calculate percentages or work on statistics. I definitely see value in the use of Google spreadsheets to help teachers track grades easily and quickly.




1 comment: